How to attract bees to your garden ...🐝🐝
Bees and other pollinators are declining but there are things that you can do to help ...
Here are some tips to make a bee friendly space🐝
1. Choose a good variety of pollen rich flowers with different flowering shapes, colours and flowering periods - from early spring to the first frosts.
2. Plant wildflowers and native plants that have evolved alongside our native insects. Wildflowers are also easy to maintain and fairly resistant to pests!
3. Don't use pesticides as they are known to kill bees as well as the insects you're trying to destroy!
4. Make a bee house - you can either buy one or provide nesting sites for solitary bees and insects - wood piles, loose soil, leaf piles are all good sites. Fix the house to a south facing spot but not in direct sunlight, face the entrance downwards to stop rain getting in.
5. Keep your lawn weeds! Dandelions and clover are particularly good weeds as they provide vital pollen early in the year!